Frequently Asked Questions > Construction Industry Scheme > If I don’t use St Matthew, what will I have to do?

In this section we deal with the most common questions that prospective clients have. Should you find that your questions are not answered here we encourage you to get in touch with us to discuss your requirements.

Search the FAQ for entries containing:

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) will expect you, as the contractor, to keep certain records. You'll need to keep details of:

  • the gross amount of each payment you make to a subcontractor - excluding any VAT
  • the amount of any deduction you made from a payment before you gave it to the subcontractor
  • if you made a deduction, the amount of any materials costs - excluding any VAT

HMRC will check these records from time to time - just like they check employers' PAYE (Pay As You Earn) records.

You must keep your records for at least three years after the end of the tax year they're for. If HMRC ask to see them you'll need to make them available and provide any facilities they need to look at them. HMRC may ask you for full-sized copies. The good thing is, St Matthew will assist you in taking care of all of these issues.

Last updated on May 6, 2011 by Robert Harris